LGV new rule for drivers

New rules for operators of Light Goods Vehicles (LGVs) travelling around Europe came into force on the 21st of May. As of now, operators of LGVs will need to carry an International Operators’ Licence when travelling through countries that are a part of the European Union (EU).

We know it can be a bit of a hassle trying to keep up with all the latest rules and regulations coming out of Europe in a post-Brexit era. However, here at RAW2K we make it really easy for you to keep up to date with our latest online car auction offers. We supply a huge variety of cars, vans, motorcycles and scooters, and as the UK’s premier online car auction website for the trade and public, you can trust us to keep you up to date on the ‘current’ rules coming out of Europe.

What’s the latest for operators of Light Goods Vehicles?

If you’re transporting goods in a LGV for “hire or reward” from the UK into (or through) the EU, you’ll need to be in possession of an International Operators’ Licence. These new rules apply to any vehicles that weigh between 2.5 and 3.5 tonnes. Without this licence, you could be faced with enforcement action in some countries, such as a fine, the impounding of your vehicle, or even being asked to return to the UK. For more information regarding the ins and outs of this new legislation, visit GOV.UK/guidance/.

What to keep in mind when applying for a licence

  • You’ll have to show evidence that you either have, or are, a qualified transport manager. If you do not have the qualification, you might be able to get temporarily recognised as one if you show
  • You’ll need to display documents, like bank statements, in order to prove that you have access to a set amount of finance for running your business.
  • If you already hold an International Operator’s Licence for Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs) you can add LGVs to your existing licence.

Additional posting declarations

On top of the new licence, if you’re planning on transporting goods between two points in the EU (Norway and Liechtenstein for example) you’re now obliged to make a “posting declaration”. To do this, you’ll need to register your driver, driver employment details, dates of travel, and the vehicle used, before making the trip. These new positing declarations are applicable to operators of Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs), vans or other Light Goods Vehicles of any size, including cars. However it’s worth remembering that these are purely for commercial use only though. You won’t need to do this for leisure purposes.

That’s pretty much everything covered! It’s always worth keeping up to date with the latest news coming out of Europe, the same way it’s always worth checking on the latest deals on scrap vehicles that we can provide you with here at RAW2K - you can find amazing deals on thousands of used, salvage and seized vehicles in our daily and weekly online auctions. So whether you’re a mechanic or a private driver, why not take a look around and see what you can find?